Saturday, June 7, 2008

Golf, Horseracing, and a Chinese Fire drill

Apparently it is June, you couldn't tell considering we probably had the worst weather of the year this week. That didn't stop golf today, although it definitely didn't help my game. I hadn't picked up a golf club since September and it was obvious. Although I did put it together for a couple holes I ended up shooting a 105. I think I'm going to play on Tuesday with my friend Kyle again, but this time we are playing at some course that offers all you can play for one day a month so we are planning on playing at least 36 holes. Let's hope I stay under 200.

I watched a horse race for the first time in my life today. I had to watch the Belmont Stakes because I heard so much about Big Brown's pursuit of the Triple Crown. Although I can't really call horse racing a sport I do have a new formed respect, that was a pretty intense couple of minutes. I was actually really rooting for Big Brown, I mean everyone wants to witness history, same reason I watch the Mariners. (worst team in the steroid era) I just wish I would have put some money on Da' Tara, 38 to 1 odds, somebody is feeling lucky today. It just sucks that now we have to listen to Sportscenter beat a dead horse, was that to soon, I mean cover this story like it was the only sporting event this year. I'm watching the Miami v. Arizona college baseball game and I think they have interrupted with Belmont highlights at least ten times.

So yesterday I was driving home from school and I witnessed something really funny and really ironic. As I was merging on to 520 it started to back up because there was a stalled car up ahead. Creeping to a stop a looked to my left and I observed one of the most well executed Chinese fire drills in the history of earth, performed by three Chinese people in a Hyundai. (if you don't know what I mean by Chinese fire drill you need to follow the link I set up, check that, go their anyway, it is interesting I promise) I was caught off guard to say the least. I've seen many Chinese fire drills, or at least a few in my day, but never executed by three Chinese people. I didn't know what to do, I actually started looking for a fire, I mean wouldn't a Chinese fire drill performed by Chinese people just be a fire drill? I still haven't figured out what was going on, but either way it was historic. Even though my golf game was weak and Big Brown was a flop, I did have a memorable experience this weekend, thanks China.


No comments: