Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wrestlemania

I have just recently began a new job in the local school district working in Special Ed. It has been a great learning experience, to say the least. The school that I work at is with the more severely disabled students, many with major behavioral issues. Yesterday I got the chance to work with a student that I had not worked with before. I had been introduced to him, last week in PE when he decided to act up and in the process of moving him to the other side of the gym he gave me some teeth marks in my forearm, but all is well. Yesterday he decided on two separate occasions that he was going to run away from us who were working with him. Although I was not the one working specifically one on one with him, I was more back-up if you will, being the young one I had the task of catching him; one time while he was running full speed down the hallway and one time outside while we were attempting to take him to the swings. This kid does have some speed, but I haven't slipped far enough to let him outrun me, no way. After both times that I caught him we squared off in an relatively even wrestling match, while I have the weight and strength, he has a great equalizer, his teeth. Although gratuitous amounts of energy was expounded, everybody was soon safe and under control. Needless to say, my job is interesting and exiting. While most days are nothing like this, my days at school are truly a box of chocolates, but as long as I'm not working with a student with the speed of Forrest Gump, I'm going to be OK.

1 comment:

Peter Roy said...

did you change up your blog appearance? nice. we could probably swap stories some time. Though most of the kids I work with aren't truly special ed, they just act like it most of the time. Gotta love middle school.

good blog, I enjoyed that!